Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The World of Autism

I am a sensitive person, and I truly don't aim to hurt anyone's feelings, but I know that there are people living with autism who question the idea that we should be "curing" autism.  They live each day as autistic people, contributing to our world.  To say that autism should be "cured", to them, is a statement that perhaps their lives as autistics aren't valid.  

When I speak of wanting to "cure" my son's autism, it is in no way to reduce who he is now or who he will be in the future, but to give him a chance in his life to be independent and not reliant on anyone else.  That is what parents are supposed to do, right?  I don't feel that we are attempting to change who Jack is.  He is and always will be the person he was born to be.  But give him a fighting chance?  You bet we will.

No comments: