Sunday, August 17, 2008

My Little Retard

I was given an assignment by my wife:  Go see "Tropic Thunder", and then write about it and the painful things that it includes.  I've read reviews and news articles, and I knew that I would be properly scrutinized if I commented but hadn't seen the movie.  So, I paid my ten bucks (when did that happen?), got a hot dog combo, and settled in for the late night showing.  The place was packed.

As I was driving to the movie, I wondered, "what if I actually like and laugh at this?".  I'm the father of a child with a developmental disability, I can't like this?  But, the truth is, I think Ben Stiller & Jack Black are funny.  So there was this outside chance that I would come home and have to say...it was funny.

It was funny.  In parts, it was.  But from the outset, it was clear that this was going to be an R-rated comedy.  I'm not a prude, trust me.  At my age, I still laugh at farts.  But this was one of those movies that pushes HARD to go over the top to win your laugh.

And then came the retard scenes.

I understand parody.  I truly do.  There were plenty of groups made fun of.  But here's the thing:  As they include Robert Downey Jr. as an australian (and white) actor who gets "skin repigmentation" to look black, along side a black actor (Brandon T. Jackson), the inevitable "n**ger" word shows up.  And Brandon (aka "Alpa Chino") explains the obvious to him.  So, they were able to include a black man to stand-up for his group that is being parodied.  They never give that chance to a person with intellectual disabilities.  Instead, the word "retard" continually gets thrown around.  And it gets the biggest laugh.  Why is that?  People with intellectual disabilities have long been a persecuted group, more than any other because they cover every known group of people.  They are killed in some cultures, or raped, because they are not seen as human.  Oh, and the jokes.

But it's okay.  The movie will go away.  And we can start worrying about some other group.  Hey, maybe Ben Stiller and the gang are writing a funny kike movie, or something funny about kids with AIDS!  Keep working for those charities, guys.  You're doing great things!  Don't worry Ben, I'm just being satirical.





No comments: